Hello – Teresa here again with a cool tunnel book project using Joggles Collage Sheets, Cling Mounted Rubber Stamps and Stencils. These tunnel books come in several different shapes and sizes. Today I am using the Joggles 6″ x 6″ Tunnel Book With Circular Tunnel version. I fell in love with the Anthropomorphic Collage Sheets when I first saw them and was inspired to create a book with them using lyrics from ‘People Are Strange’ by The Doors.
Pebeo Black Gesso (or use DecoArt Media Gesso – Black)
Black Fineliner Pen (or use Faber Castell PITT Artist Pen – Fine Tip – Black)
Collall Photo Glue and 151 All Purpose Glue (or use Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue – 2 ounce BOTTLE)
Other: Sizzix Wingo Zingo Alphabet Die; Frank Morrow UPaint Metal Star; A4 white card; A4 black card; craft knife;
Here is my process:
Paint both covers and all the pages of the tunnel book with an even coat of black gesso to create a base for the decorated papers. One coat should suffice but as different brands may vary in coverage, you may find it necessary to add a second coat once the first is dry.
While the gesso is drying, carefully cut out the images from the Anthropomorphic collage sheets leaving a narrow white border all around. Mat onto black card using photo glue (or similar) and trim around leaving a narrow black border. This will allow the images to ‘pop’ from the background papers and both stiffens and tidies up the back. (There are mirror images on these collage sheets, so I could have chosen to add these to the backs….but as a frugal crafter, I wanted to save them for another project!)
Cut 14 pieces of white cardstock 5.25” x 5.5” and add pattern using the Joggles stencils and Tim Holtz Distress Oxides and Distress Inks.
I decided to attach the page with the smallest opening to my front cover as my collage images were quite large and would have covered the opening. I attached it to the plain cover using All Purpose Glue (or similar).
Using photo glue, I attached my stencilled papers to both sides of each page and the covers, trimming around the openings with a craft knife. Some Black Soot Distress Ink adds the finishing touch to each aperture.
Before attaching the figures, I wanted to add a little interest to the plain backs. I used some Distress Oxide Inks and two of the Joggles Background Noise Stamps. The Oxide Inks have an opacity which makes them perfect for stamping on dark card.
I coloured the metal star with alcohol inks and allowed to dry before gluing into the aperture in the front cover panel.
I wanted to create a ‘strange’ crowd scene for my final page and fussy cut the halloween masquerade figures, sticking them to a sheet of black card, then cutting out as before. I then glued this in place inside the back cover.
I used a Sizzix alphabet die to cut my book title out. There is a Sticky Snippets Alphabet sheet but I fancied a wonky font instead….by using the One Big Sticky Snippet sheet, I didn’t have to mess around with a glue pen, trying to stick down tiny die cuts! I went around the letters with a black fine liner to add a little extra definition.
To finish, I printed off my lyrics, cut the words apart, and glued them in place on my pages, again edging with a black pen. Then I added the book rings to bind it all together.
Thanks so much for stopping by to see my process. I hope I have inspired you today.